Thursday, February 9, 2012

Writer's (and blogger's) block


I’m learning some things about myself in this first-book business.

Until the sequel to ‘Mousenet’ was accepted, I was badly blocked on Book Three. And yes, there is a third in the works, though with no guarantee it will be published. The blockage lasted for about four months between the time my agent sent in Book Two last September, and the happy day when Hyperion took it on. Every morning I would sit and scratch away at Book Three, but it absolutely wasn’t working. I even tried starting in the middle, because the opening kept falling apart, and that helped a bit, but I still couldn’t get excited and the story felt forced.

Then I got the news that ‘Mousemobile’ is indeed coming out next year and WHAM–Book Three took off. It now has an opening that works. I’ve thought of new ways to make the middle work. And I even have an idea of how the two will meet. 

Once I’m on a writing tear–even if it’s only for two or three hours a day–that’s it. My brain doesn’t feel like blogging, or anything else much except perhaps sucking up the Daily Show. Which explains (if anyone’s keeping track) why nothing much has happened on this site recently.

No comments:

Post a Comment